Alcohol poisoning can be damaging to your health and potentially fatal. More and more people throughout our country are entering into emergency rooms suffering from alcohol poisoning due to drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Binge drinking is to blame for the majority of alcohol poisoning cases because the user is drinking more alcohol than the body can filter within a certain time period.

Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Slow breathing
  • Irregular breathing
  • Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
  • Low body temperature
  • Unconsciousness

It is not necessary to experience all of these symptoms of alcohol poisoning before seeking help. If someone is unconscious and unable to be roused contact emergency medical personnel immediately.

When To See a Doctor

If you are concerned you or someone you know may be suffering from alcohol poisoning contact a Doctor or go to an emergency room immediately. If someone is showing signs of the alcohol poisoning symptoms the following are tips to get them the help they need immediately:

  • If someone is unconscious and unable to rouse, breathing less than eight times a minute and is uncontrollably vomiting you should all 911 immediately. Do not assume the person will be able to sleep off the alcohol, even as they are unconscious the blood alcohol levels will continue to rise and put the person at risk of death if not treated immediately.
  • Contact poison control at 800-222-1222 is the person is conscious but exhibiting symptoms of alcohol poisoning. a Representative will be able to direct you to life saving information and emergency services.
  • When entering into an emergency facility with a person suffering from alcohol poisoning inform the staff of how much alcohol and what kind they were drinking.
  • While waiting for help you need to help the person to vomit. Do not leave them a lone, this could put their life in further risk.